Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lauf, Ess Wurst, Drink Bier

"What the heck" you say!  This is what you call a German tri-athlon.  "Run, Eat Sausage, Drink Beer"!

And we did this last Saturday.  As part of Wurst Fest in New Bruanfels, Tx there is a race called the Wurst 5 miler.  This was our first time to join in the festivities and while I was to run a 10 mile long run with half being an easy pace and half being a hard pace, the race was the best hard run I've had in some time.

We ran 2 miles to warm up and then after a 15 minute delay, due to so many participants being late, the race began.  Although the road surface was sometimes a little rough the race itself was fast and fun.  Our plan to start with a 9 and increase speed went out the window as we started at an 8:45 pace and got faster from there.

To my great surprise my knee held up well with an overall pace of 8:23 per mile and the last mile being a 7:51.  I finished the morning off with a 3 mile cool down to complete my 10 mile run.

Terry and I celebrated this fun, fast, and enjoyable race with a beer and a brat.  It's amazing how good a beer and brat can taste at 10 in the morning after a hard run!

Most enjoyable though is how much Terry and I enjoy sharing this acitivity.  Running together allows us to push one another along, encourage one another, and just plain have a great time with someone we love.  How many married folks really have this kind of fun????

No comments: