Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tough Run Turns Good

Sometimes you go out and your run just isn't what you bargained for. You struggle for reasons you can't seem to poinpoint.  I had one of those runs yesterday.

I should preface by saying my run on Tuesday was wonderful.  It was a hard pace run 80 to 85 % of my 5K pace for 7 miles.  I was able to keep pace and felt good (other than one stop at the bathroom).  My knee felt good, the weather was perfect, it was an awesome run.

Wednesday rolls around and before I even get out of bed I hear it...the wind.  If you've followed this blog you know by now that I am not a wind person.  I drag myself from the comfort of the bed, eat, get dressed, and decide to take a route that I've not taken before thinking that it would preoccupy my thoughts enough that I would not notice the wind.  It is 8:00 in the morning and I decide to cross the 51 bridge which is about a mile from our house and wander into a couple of the neighborhoods there and run back.  A couple of things I notice as I am running toward Weatherford; first there are a LOT of people driving in to work in Granbury, way too much traffic crossing the bridge, second it's a damn long way across that bridge with this much traffic.  But what do I do?  I keep going.

I get to the other side and cross the highway into a neighborhood, nice!  It's quiet and the wind is blocked by some very nice trees.  This part is good and I wander enjoying some new scenery.  This days run is to be a moderate paced run 75% effort and I am able to stay with it although I am struggling, my legs are tired from the day before.

With about two miles left it's time to head for home so I run out to the highway and turn toward the bridge...AAAAHHHHH the WIND hits, a head wind all the way up the highway across the bridge (not as much traffic going this direction) I felt as though I would blow right off the bridge and the very large trucks passing me at 60 MPH didn't help!  And then the end of the bridge to the street we live on  is...well... up hill with a head wind.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?????

As I turn on to our street  the wind is no longer a head wind although not a tail wind either it is at least easier and our street has a slight downhill slant from this point.  As I turn the song  "Winds of Change" by the Scorpians comes on the shuffle.  How ironic, and as I head for the house I notice how the wind is working it's way through and around the large trees that line the road.  The leaves are starting to change and occassionaly a few leaves fall around me.  Listening to this song while watching the wind do it's magic with the leaves I feel a sense of accomplishment.  Tough run?  Yes, but ending it like this...that is priceless!

No comments: