Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Week of Reflection

Have you ever had something happen, or maybe many somethings, all close to the same time that cause you to reflect on life, love, happiness, success and what that means to us?

This week one of our dogs had to be put down. This dog was one we rescued from the pound when we lived in Abilene. They did not realize she was pregnant, soon after her rescue we had 12 puppies. She was well trained and loved everyone. Her life with us was fun, we gave her all our love. In the end she was sick and there wasn't anything more we could do.

This week a woman I knew in Abilene, an avid cyclist, was killed while riding. A horrible tragedy that still has me wondering if I am ready should something happen. Have I done all I want to do, given enough, loved enough, been wise enough, made the right choices more often than not?

This week our son moved to South Carolina after graduating from UT. He is off to another life, far enough away that we can't drive to him easily. He will be getting married a couple of months, he will be responsible for his own family then. And I ponder whether or not he will find success as he defines it, I hope they don't go through so many of the hard times we went through and yet I know they have to in order to grow together.

It's been a week to think about life, the meaning behind why we are here. These are the things I think about while I'm running. It's easy for me to zone out and just think about all that is happening and my place in everything around me. Thank goodness I have running to help me sort out my own reflection.

No comments: