Saturday, July 3, 2010

Behind on Blogging!

I've learned so much over the past couple of years in regard to excersize, it's hard to know how to begin to share what I have learned but I shall give it a try.

1. Running with no cross training will eventually lead to injury
2. Cross training is fun and I've learned that swimming (and I mean REALLY swimming), learning all of the strokes, doing tough drills, and sprints, plus distance swimming, has helped me in a number of ways. I've also learned I really won't drown if I push hard swimming!
3. Cycling is very hard, much harder than running in my opinion. But also very rewarding and exhilerating.
4. Yoga/Pilates provide a very tough but cleansing workout while allowing me to gain strength I never got with lifting weights.
5. Most of all though I've come to the realization that all of these activities (and others) have become such a way of life that they are no longer just "workouts".

When we begin working out we have to plan and think about when we will get our workouts in, it becomes a hassle to make sure we get just enough time in to counter our calorie intake. While it is positive and we enjoy it, it is "exersize".

No longer do I feel this way, these activites are a way of life, they are what I do, just like brushing my teeth, doing my hair, eating. It's just the way we live and with it comes freedom.

In a few weeks I have knee surgery, nothing major, I am worried about how I will fill my time while not being able to fully live they way I have become accustomed. I guess I will just have to work hard to get myself back better than ever!

Last I want to express how exciting it has been to see family members beginning the quest for health, and you know who you are! Congratulations and know that I am here to support you in any way I can. Looking forward to a "family" half sometime in the future!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work, Susan!