Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Family Memory

A joyful thing happened in South Carolina, in addition to my son's wedding. I discovered once again how enjoyable it is to share a run with those you love and admire.

I have quite a few nieces who are becoming runners. Sometime back we discussed getting together in South Carolina while we were all there for the wedding and going for a run. I took the liberty of finding a good route that would provide us with a loop to stop for water and bathrooms. This happened to be my son's future in-laws neighborhood.

Saturday morning we rose early and drove over to park in their drive to begin our run. My brother joined us as well. All running different paces I showed them the route and we all took off on our adventure. It seems simple and uneventful, nothing really to write about, nothing is further from the truth!

Sharing a time with my family, who are now on a quest to be more healthy, who are there to share in our joy later in the evening, well it was more than just a "run" to me. As I think back on it I needed that run and that time to share with them more than they realize. They may have been there for reasons that have nothing to do with me but in the end they gave me a great gift. A gift of camaraderie, the gift of calm and joy in sharing my passion with them on a day when instead I could have been a bag of nerves.

This is one of those runs that will make my list of my best runs. Thank you all for making such a wonderful memory with me.

No comments: