Sunday, July 17, 2011

Missoula Marathon

If you read my last blog you know that training for the Missoula Marathon was tough. Living in Texas, in a drought year where the temperature has been over 100 every day from the end of May until now, July 17.

Training runs early in the morning, 5:30 or 6:00 am, but still in the 80's at the start of the run. And then add to that any humidity hanging around it's a recipe for disaster. You know I just don't understand how it can be humid and yet not a chance of any rain...how does that work exactly?

Anyway back to that recipe for disaster. I was able to acclimate some and the shorter, 6-8 miles, were OK. Not great but OK. It was the long runs that killed me. It's just not easy for me to run in high heat for a long time. And so the training this time around was killer and I struggled with dehydration.

I began this blog by detailing the race, then I deleted it all. Instead I am going to attempt to capture the emotions. But not tonight. For tonight suffice it to say it was the best marathon I've run. Not that it was the best time, but it was the most beautiful, the best put together, and the most amazing experience. Perfect weather, beautiful scenery and incredible local support.

More to follow...

No comments: