Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Faster Paces

With this recovery effort I've run slow miles with the intent of getting my knee used to running again, used to the miles of pounding.  Everything has gone well.

Yesterday was the first day of my new schedule which includes some faster paces and I am feeling it.  After complaining for so long about always having to run slow I now wonder why I don't just keep running slow.

Yesterday was a "hard" 6 mile run.  A "hard" run according to my coach is 80 to 85% effort or a 5 to 10K pace.  Well other than a couple of 5K races I've not run that kind of effort in some time and especially not for 6 miles!  I head out the door and notice that it's warm, humid, balmy.  Not good fast running weather for me.  I struggle some and start out too fast, had to stop twice to go to the bathroom and two more times just to breathe!

I was able to make it through, it's exciting to have some variety of speed, but boy was it tough.

Today was a moderate 6 miler, much easier as the weather turned cool and somewhat dryer.  My knee is a little stiff, otherwise all is good.

Back on the road and loving it.

No comments: