Sunday, September 7, 2008

Saturday's Run

As mentioned in my previous blog, I love the mountains and feel the pull to go home to them. However when I go out on Saturday with those who have become my friends through the common bond of running I know that I am indeed a very lucky person.

God has given me so many friends. People who know how it feels to suffer through a run and also how it feels to revel in a run. Not to mention friends who keep you up on the latest technology. Like using duct tape to put over your blisters when running.

The "ultra guys" have been telling me about this for some time. Now I know that they KNOW what they are talking about but really? Duct tape? I just couldn't understand this. And then a couple of weeks ago I had to wear some "nice" shoes to work in Colorado. YUCK!!!! I love my running shoes and flip flops! Anyway a small blister appeared on the bottom of my foot.

Running, of course, made it worse. It would get better with a day off and then it would get worse when I ran. Last Thursday when I did mile repeats it was pretty bad and so at work I put a bandaid on it while wearing my "nice" shoes. I went to take the bandaid off and OWWWWW...it pulled the skin right off of the blister.

Now what to do? I had to run 14 on Saturday and this blister hurt like....well you know. So as it were, Saturday I show up with a bandaid that didn't even last 2 miles. Then I saw Andy and he had some duct tape in his car. Now I would find out if these folks are just plain crazy or if the rumor is true.

WOW, what can I say!!!! They do indeed know what they are talking about (not that I really ever doubted them). Duct tape is amazing and I really mean amazing! It worked so well for my blister, it didn't hurt at all and didn't blister over again. And the tape came off easily too.

Thank you my friends for such a wonderful suggestion. And really, I did know you KNEW what you were talking about. I just had to experience it for myself to get the full benefit of your knoweldge!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever get all of the sticky stuff off your skin from wearing the duct tape?