Sunday, January 25, 2009

3M Half Marathon Relay - 3rd PLACE!

Yeah, you read it right! Terry and I got 3rd in the Mixed Masters Relay division. Never mind that there were only 3 relay teams in our division :)

The week started out really bad for the two of us.

I talk here about myself but Terry was going through the same thing at the same time.

Monday I ran my 5 miles trying to run it a 5K pace. I've done this many times before and while it's hard I'm usually right on pace. But this last Monday I struggled. I felt tired, sluggish, and had two bouts of "pottyproblem". I thought all of this might be because it was (close your eyes boys) almost that time of the month.

Monday night I felt worse...I won't even begin to describe it but the rest of the week I got worse. I tried to run again on Wednesday but it was useless...I was exhausted and sick to my stomach all the time and just could not get myself to eat.

I called the doctor - yep, stomach virus. Oh GEEZ!

Pausing here to say that not eating is not so bad, I did lose a few pounds. Losing it because you are sick is not fun though.

Terry and I had this race on Sunday, all week I wondered if I would make it. And every day I would start out ok after sleeping 11 to 12 hours but soon it was back and I was on the couch suffering.

Thursday I felt better, although not great. Drove to Sephenville to get Terry, we drove to San Antonio where he had a conference. There I slept in on Friday, worked from the hotel, and still felt yucky although not horrible. We then drove to New Braunfels and met the kids for dinner at the Gristmill. Great place, but not good when you feel bad and the food was not as good as I remember. Anyway I was able to put some food away but later felt sick to my stomach again.

Now we are on Saturday, we eat breakfast in the hotel (Rasin Bran for me), then drive into San Marcos to see Taryn and Tanner, we eat at a great little place called "The Root Cellar". Unfortunately I did not feel well so I didn't eat much. The rest of the day I had no desire to eat and so at dinner I had vegetable soup and had only the broth. Saturday night we moved on to Austin. That night I thought I would blow up. I won't go into detail but it was not good and I worried about whether I would be able to run at all. I didn't sleep much on Saturday night.

Now it's Sunday morning and we are up getting ready for the race. Terry ran the first leg so I had some time in the hotel and thank goodness for that. After feeling so bad all night I lost it right after Terry left. I had about 2 hours so I took my time, ate a banana, went to the bathroom 1000 times and finally it was time for me to go to the relay exchange point.

Still wondering if I could even begin running I felt a lot better after my little bout this morning. and sure enough the run went well and I felt great. I didn't push myself too much. Having not eaten much, being dehydrated, being sick all week and not running I was not sure what I could do but in the end it was great and I had a good time. I am pleased.

And yeah, we got 3rd place...but best of all we got to see our kiddos...they are AWESOME.

No comments: