Saturday, January 17, 2009

Last Week in Colorado Springs

If you read my last blog you know that I have been a bit down, feeling fat and disgusted with myself. This stems from many things, one being the overeating tendencies that happen during the holiday season, two being the monthly cycle we women have to deal with (what a major pain), and three being that I took off of running for 30 days and while I continued to exercise through cross training it's really just not the same, or at least doesn't feel the same.

Running in Colorado this week I came back around to thinking about why I run. Sure I want to stay lean and healthy, sure I want my heart to keep beating a little longer and stronger, but there is so much more. I have a friend who refuses to run in the cold and runs only in her home on the treadmill. As I was running on the trail this week I thought that for me that would be sad and depressing. I run for so many other reasons, more than just losing weight and staying fit.

I run because it gets me outside, because there is so much to see! No matter where I am a sunrise is amazing. And of course when it glows on Pikes Peak it's even more amazing, but anywhere I am a sunrise always gives me pause a new day a new start, for every one of us. A new day gives us a new opportunity to change things, to work on our weaknesses and foster our strengths, an opportunity to do good for someone around us or everyone around us. If I were not outside running I would not see the sunrise the way I do.

It's the same way I see it when I am camping, hiking, fishing, it's simply being outdoors in nature as God intended. WOW! Why the heck would I want to run on a treadmill when it's 20 degrees or as in Colorado sometimes 10 degrees? That crisp cold makes me feel alive, exhilarated, and ready for a new day.

The wind...well that's another blog for another day.

And to my friend Russell. I know you will beat whatever this is your body is throwing at you. We are here for you friend, don't hesitate to let us know when you need us!

No comments: