Monday, September 14, 2009

Weird Wedding and Rain

Forgive me if I misspell, I can't find the spell check, did it dissapear?

It strikes me as interesting how much we as runners enjoy running in the rain.  Not the storm type rain, a nice solid rain or nice thick mist that somehow makes you feel as if you are invincible.  It is something that people who do not do outdoor activities simply don't understand and so they stay at home and call us idiots.  Well that is ok with me, I like being one of the weirdos!

This weekend we went to Austin to see the kids and ran the "Keep Austin Weird" 5k.  Terry and I ran with Taryn and her fiance Ben.  Neither of them run so we decided to stay together and run/walk and enjoy watching the people who were dressed up.  We did the untimed version and so there was no self imposed pressure to really run.  How much fun!  Not only was it a fun thing for the four of us to do together it was hysterical to watch the costumes people came up with.  And all in the pouring rain which only added to the fun.  Tanner rode his bike down to watch and cheer for us, he said he just can't run unless it's to run hard, he has not gotten out of his cross country mode I suppose.

After the race we went back to the hotel to change into some dry clothes had a free breakfast at the Hampton. The boys went to hang out at Whole Earth and REI while Taryn and I went about finding her a wedding dress.

For those of you who have daughters, start saving now.  While you can find relatively less expensive dresses it's tough to find a really nice one for under $1000 unless you get lucky and find it on sale.  We looked at several different places and found the perfect dress.  Wow.  She looks beautiful.  I didn't get to emotional until they put a veil on her and then it hit me.  She really is going to get married!

On Sunday Terry and Tanner went to the San Marcos river and canoed and fished.  I got up early and ran 7 at Town Lake.  There is something about running in Austin.  It is really amazing the number of people who get outside and run, bike, do yoga, swim, you name it.  Austin is a unique place and I love running there.  It was cool, misty, muddy, and a fantastic run!  I ran by the Barton Springs pool (a pool that is fed by a spring going into the river) lots of people were out swimming, no doubt some training for a tri.  Some day I want to swim in that pool.  The skullers were out, the UT team and the recreational, something else I want to do someday.  It's a great place to be.  And best of all my knee feels good, no pain at all.

Then it was off to the Bridal Extravaganza with Taryn (after breakfast at Magnolia Cafe).  Lots of vendors and some great ideas.  Unfortunately everything comes with a hefty price tag, at least now we can really put together a budget and see if we can stick to it.  Wish us luck with that!

No comments: