Friday, June 6, 2008

Wind Blew the Week Away

Wow, it's Friday already. It's been so windy the week just blew right by me without a post. I need to get a grip on posting regularly. Of course I am quite sure there are not that many readers so I am probably not missed by many :) .

To recap the week, Monday was my easy 6 mile run. It wasn't too bad, of course it was windy but it was a good run. I've had some pain for quite some time with what I thought was Piriformis Syndrome. I do have Piriformis issues but this was different and yet felt similar. The pain kept getting worse so finally I want to see Dr. Ezzell. High ham string pull. NO WONDER it hurt so much. When I am sitting for any length of time it is almost unbearable and I have to take more than a dosage worth of Advil.

I do not have to quit running, thank goodness, but I do have to stretch A LOT, apparently at my age (as doc put it) stretching is even more important so I have added more stretching into my routine. And he added some strategic strength training as well.

I've also added core workouts twice a week. Needless to say all of this is taking a bit more time compared to my usual run. But that's OK because I want to feel better and run better.

Let's see that all happened on Tuesday after my 100 repeats which went very well in the wind, even if I must say so myself! Wednesday was rest and I slept in (until 7:00). It felt great to saw more logs than usual.

Thursday morning was to be my 800 repeats...guess what???? 25 gusting to 40 mph wind :( I was not a happy runner and so what did I do? I slept until 7:00 and did not go run. I did however do my strength training and a great core workout.

So this morning I got up to do my 800 repeats...listen, do you hear that? That's right, no wind! Wow, so off I went. Not having wind was wonderful, the humidity this morning was tough on me, but the 800's went well and I was surprised that they were not as difficult as usual. I am sure this is because I didn't have to run into a wall of air coming at me from the south.

Sit ups and stretching followed and the rest of the day has been more preparation for getting the house ready to sell. (And my job of course)

Great day!

Next week we will be on vacation. I will trade my running in for pack packing and hiking in a remote area of the White Mountain Indian Reservation in the mountains of Arizona...yes all you people Arizona has more mountains than desert! This will be the first time we have done this in a remote area without trails. Thank goodness for topo maps and GPS. I'm looking forward to the time away from all stress of every day life and I'll write all about it when I return.

SYL (See ya later)

No comments: