Saturday, May 31, 2008

Graduation Day

Today was my daughter's graduation. The last one so now we will be without our children. I really will miss her but I am also looking forward to seeing her continue to blossom into a wonderful young woman.

I know it won't really hit me until she leaves for college, but this morning as I rose to go to the club run at Redbud, I found myself feeling a little down. I had a hard time getting motivated. I am of course feeling old, overweight, depressed, and lonely. I think these things are normal when your last child is going off. All of a sudden you feel like an old woman (or man).

Of course the run made me feel better, worked out the kinks, and the rest of the day has been such a blessing with all of our family here with us to celebrate her right of passage.

It occurs to me that, for me anyway, running is so much more than just a way to stay healthy, or thin, or in shape, it is a way to release the tension, the stress, the fear that seems to hit me from time to time. The days that I don't run are remarkably different from the days I do run. My attitude is better, my outlook brighter. It really does feel better to get out and do something.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,

Well, you are hardly overweight, or old! And, you are right, your running will help you all the way around, in dealing with life, and for your health. I know you will miss your daughter, but I'm sure you will always find a way to be in her life...and she in yours!

Jerry

KcandyP said...

Thank you Jerry. I will make it through and you are right we will always find a way to be in each others lives. She is a good kid and I am looking forward to seeing her become a great young lady.