Saturday, October 11, 2008

Colorado Springs and my 20 miler

I was in Colorado again last week and will be again next week. As you all know if you've read my blogs I love the cool dry air, however it is staying darker later in the mornings and out there on the trail I love it is PITCH dark. I took my head light last week, but even then it's a little scary. I'm not so worried about people, although I only saw one person last week so I went up to the street and ran downtown. Wildlife is a little more of an issue, especially because they've been seeing mountain lions in the area.

When training this causes some issues. I'm not sure what to do next week but I bet I will figure it out.

I did have a wonderful run through downtown and the neighborhoods that surround downtown. The homes are so pretty and it's quiet and quaint. And FLAT. It was invigorating, it was 37 degrees, crips and cold. I wore shorts although I did have long sleeves and gloves and an ear band. I think it's interesting how the people from Colorado Springs will be all bundled up and there I am in my shorts...that seems wrong!

On Thursday it was back to the junior high dirt track to do 800's. This week it was tough, maybe because I've been home for 3 weeks. My lungs just didn't want to work! This too was in the dark for the first few, by the time I got to 9 it was sunup and Pike's Peak shone like a beacon above the changing aspens. Which by the way are beautiful. The mountains are speckled with green, gold, and red. Spots of aspens between the pines. It is an amazing sight all through the day but especially in the morning when the sun shines on the mountains.

More to come after next week.

I ran 20 miles today, ran the Worldwide Half for 13 of that run. My pace was just where I wanted to be so that is good. I struggle with not turning off my watch, it always looks so slow, but at least then it is really accurate time spent out there so that's what I do. And I do like to chat at the bench! I enjoyed the time with Sid and Molly, as well as my cute hubby! I was tired, anytime I fly and then run the next day I struggle so I was tired but it was a good run nonetheless. And I am glad it is over!

I'm going to miss the running club when we move...sigh...but there will be a new group to meet and then we will expand our running network. IF we ever move.

Doesn't someone out there need a nice home? Ours is still for sale!

No comments: