Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rambling

It's Sunday, a rest day for me. I enjoy my rest days emmensly, in fact one of the reasons I run is for my rest days.

This week was a good week running. Monday and Tuesday were good natural pace runs and Thursday I did 10 miles at race pace with walk breaks and did well. It was a good workout but not a killer and helps me to learn how to judge my running time so that I can do the walks and make it all come out to the right time.

Saturday I had 18 and to be honest I was dreading it. My 16 miler not long ago was really hard so I had this fear that the 18 would be really tough. And yet it wasn't. Maybe the difference was the heat. The day I ran my 16 it was warm and humid, yesterday was cool and breezy. The 18 miles felt really good and I am not sore at all, not from running, only from lifting on Friday.

I am really struggling with doing the walk breaks. I REALLY want to just run but I also want to try it this way and see if it makes a difference in how I feel, how I finish. I can always try something different the next time around.

I think part of my struggle is that I percieve what others think and are saying behind my back. I catch the little comments here and there..."a walk/run?" or "who's plan are you following". I want to be successful doing it this way to show people that it can be done, that I can run the same time as someone who does not take walk breaks, I know Galloway's studies show it can be done and I know many people who have done it and done it fast. I think I am frustrated with those I percieve are just waiting to see if I fail. Then they can say that this type of training and running marathons is wrong, that it doesn't work. I am determined to prove them wrong.

Then again maybe it's an internal struggle with how I view myself. This is something I need to work on. Some day I want to be able to run my best without feeling like I am missing some great secret to being better than I am.

Well enough of that. I am off to Colorado Springs tomorrow for work, I love running there and I am sure I will get over this little funk I am in tonight!

Have a wonderful week of running.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, are you done rambling yet? Go to my blog and check out the cool tools from Runner's World. Later.