Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day run

For some in the club it was a day of wearing red and BEING red. The idea to do the Steamboat Mountain 13 mile run for Valentine's Day was brought up a few weeks ago and since I also had a 13 mile run to do Terry and I decided to participate. The idea was to also wear red.

If you don't know, Steamboat Mountain is not a mountain by Colorado standards of course, but it is a very tall group of Mesa's and the grade % on the hills is extremely steep, no switchback roads.

The route is 13 miles through the cute little town of Buffalo Gap just south of Abilene, great place to run!

It's a very tough course but not so tough you cannot do it, and you feel so good about yourself when you do because it is such an accomplishment.

And so today I decided to run my 13 with the group at a slow pace at Steamboat. Terry only had about 6 miles to do so he parked at the top of the mountain and then ran with me the last 6 miles or so.

The first part of the run, about 2.5 miles or so it was windy and the temperature was 29 degrees, I was dressed for it but was still pretty cold with the north wind. Once we turned from it we were better.

The run was fun and felt good albeit tough, but then that's what we expected. I did well on the hills, had to walk some on the steepest hill, but all in all I felt good.

Legs are tired, I think some from the run but I also lifted heavier on legs yesterday so it may be some soreness from that as well.

Anyway, it was a fun Valentine run and once again shows what fun we can having doing what we love.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: