Friday, April 30, 2010

Spring

We've had a lot of rain this year and this spring the eyes see green grass, green trees, colorful wildflowers everywhere, yards and gardens coming to life. Spring is such a rebirth for Mother Earth as well as for all of us, a time to begin anew.

On my ride the other day, the one with the really big hills, I was in awe of the wildflowers. So many colors everywhere you look, God is so amazing in his palette I never cease to be amazed.

The only downside is that my knee is really not well after Cowtown Half and so I am once again struggling to recover. Running is something I am doing less of now. But never fear I am going to an orthopedist here next week and hope soon to be back on my running feet. In the meantime I am walking, cycling, swimming, yogaing (is that a word?), working in the yard, fishing, so as you see I am still very active. It's only the running that seems to bother me...sigh.

However, walking does have some advantages. I've noticed that when I'm walking I tend to see things happening around me more than when I am running. An example follows.

A transition to spring is baseball. Everyone knows this, even those who don't keep up with sports. The local little league teams play close to the walking/bike/running path. It is funny how seeing those little boys out there playing, the brothers and sisters running around and lining up at the concession stand, or playing wallball on the side of the buildings, brings a warm feeling that starts deep down in my heart and builds up to my face where then a smile cannot be suppressed.

Yesterday on the path near the fields was this little boy, maybe 5 or 6, playing a game with his shadow. Jumping up and down trying to throw the shadow off. He would turn and look, jump up, spin around, as if trying desperately to separate himself from the shadow but when he could not he would giggle that little kid giggle that is so contagious. This is the way it should be I thought to myself. Kids need this, the outdoors, the imaginative spirit. Forget the video games, the TV, those things can squash our ability to imagine, to live, to play with our shadows. It was wonderful to see a child doing what children do naturally. Little does he know the affect he had on me.

We never know the affect we have on others. I hope that the affect I have is a positive one! Thank you kiddo for the shadow dance.

1 comment:

Rick Pritchett said...

Very true. Thanks for the inspirational words.