Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Politcial Thoughts

We all awoke today to a historic time in our lives. A time we will someday talk to our grandchildren about. The election when an African American man became our president.

This man has the opportunity to bring this country together, to break down the barriers between color of skin, to break down the barriers between political parties. The expectation of his term is high. Higher than any president since I've been alive.

People do not like change, even when that change will bring about good things. It is uncomfortable to step out of what is normal in our lives and into something that feels different. While some will be overjoyed at this change they will also begin to understand that it holds them to a higher standard. No longer can any of us live with a chip on our shoulder. No longer can we be apathetic toward what is happening in our great country. This change shows us that we as a body of people can make things happen when we work together.

It will not be easy in my opinion. I feel that there will be pockets of racial fighting, that African Americans will somehow think things will be better for them without working together to make it better and that Anglo Americans will continue to think that they are superior and will refuse to work together. There are too many ignorant people in our country, but it is a free country and they are free to be idiots if that is what they choose to be.

My hope is that this man who I believe really does want change, really does want us all to work together in this melting pot we call America, really does want to make a difference for a united group of people, will rise up and show that he is above the petty fighting, that he shows grace toward all, that he leads us all into a common good for our country. That he brings to this position a great understanding of what it's like to live, work, play, and die next to your neighbor who could be someone who's origin is not on our shores but who's family came here to find a better life.

I hope that he will rise above all of the special interest groups who plague the government now and those who now will think they have a "place" in his audience simply because he is African American.

I feel he is a strong man, a tough man, an intelligent man, a compassionate man, and I will do my part to stand by my president.

I did not vote for Obama, but in reality I am now excited at the possibility of change for my children and their children. I will work hard to do the things my president asks of us as Americans to unify this country in any way possible. I hope you will do the same.

No comments: