Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Something New

Went to the doctor yesterday. I had a list of questions for Chad, the doctor (he is also a very fast runner). The questions really stemmed around what I should do going forward. Is my knee healthy enough, am I strong enough, why am I having so much trouble etc...

He is such a good friend as well as a great doctor and he gave me a new prescription. As he spoke I realized it was true. I am not having fun running, I worked for two years in order to try to qualify for Boston and then got hurt. Should have laid off for some time, done some other things, but instead went right back into training to try and do something to make myself not be so down about being hurt. Two injuries later and one marathon later it is easy to see the wrong decision. As Chad put it I am tired both physically and mentally. And I've given up all of my cross training and that has not been good for me.

The prescription is 30 days off of running. Turn toward other types of exercise, go back to strength training, swim, spin, do yoga...spend some time away from running but doing other things that can give you the release and when I am ready I will know. He insists that when I come back my body will be better healed, stronger from cross training, and my mind will be free and ready to run for fun not to try to prove something.

And so I lifted yesterday, yoga today, will run the Turkey Trot on Thursday and then I am off to find other things to give me that high. I've never done yoga and I have to tell you it was wonderful! So different, slow paced but a such a workout. The core workout is amazing. I plan to continue the yoga along with spinning and swimming. Wow, there is a world out there that does not include running!

I'm happy to get back to my old self and I know it is true, when I get back to it I will be ready and I feel sure I will reach further in my running than I've ever been. In the meantime I am going to enjoy the adventure.

No comments: