Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Moon

This has nothing to do with running so bear with me.

Since moving in our new home the moon has gone through two full moon phases. The last time it was mostly cloudy during the phase so we never really saw the moon, I think only once.

This month though we have had clear skies and this brings me to my subject.

You must first understand that in our bedroom we have five large windows. Of those five, four of them have the arch at the top so the wood blinds only cover from the end of the arch down. The arch itself is open. Two of those windows are on my side of the bed, one right beside me and the other on the wall opposite, they almost take up the entire corner of the room.

At night we close the blinds as it gets light early in this room! But again there are no blinds on the arched part of the windows.

For these three nights I would wake to what seemed to be light flooding in the room, only it wasn't light from a bulb or a lamp so the first time I thought it was morning. And then as I opened my eyes I could see the moon smiling at me through the arch in the window. I looked around the room, it was something out of a dream. Moonlight transformed the room with it's soft yet filling presence, and it shined right on my side of the bed without ever making it over to the other side. I felt dreamy so I closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep feeling the warmth of the moon glow on my face.

The next night I looked forward to the moon waking me and sure enough it did, it was even brighter as now it was completely full. Again the room seemed like it came from a dream and again I drifted back to sleep after smiling at the moon peaking through the window.

The next night was the same only this night the clouds would move over the moon so that the light would fill the room and then fade, over and over, making the room feel almost like a boat rocking on the waves.

Now the clouds have moved in and I will not see the moon as we are looking for rain. I can't wait until next month when the full moon is up again. At some point the orbit will move the moon from my window and maybe the moment is gone and won't return or be as fascinating as it was this once. I guess I will wait and see!

No comments: