Monday, June 1, 2009

4 Mile Run on Sunday

Well my longest run so far went great until...

What a beautiful morning it was. Not too hot, nice easy breeze, it was great running weather. The largest part of the group went on as I had to go slower. Terry stayed with me, having run a tough 5K race on Saturday he did not want to do anything to fast.

We walked one mile at a good pace but not brisk, then ran 4 miles at an easy pace. It felt GREAT, I so miss running. Right before our last running mile was finished I began to feel that ache in the back of my knee. We finished up and walked a 1/2 mile back to the car for cool down. Then I stretched and by the time we got home that little ache had become a pretty good pain. I could not bend my knee, I had no range of motion.

This happens from time to time but it's been about 3 weeks since the last time and it wasn't this bad. According to my doctor and my coach this is a Baker's Cyst. It really isn't a cyst at all but a symptom of overuse. Because I tore my meniscus I will always now have degeneration in my left knee. What happens now is if I overuse by running too much, bending too much, squatting too much, without building up slowly, the knee produces too much fluid designed to coat the knee joint. Because there is too much it pushes out into the easiest place to go which is most often behind the knee. So it swells and cause limited range of motion and pain. Ice helps as does ibuprofen but it doesn't make it go away.

The only way to not have them is to build up slowly allowing the knee to get used to the activity. And so I am trying. It's very frustrating and rest seems to be the best medicine. I am really tired of not running the miles I used to run.

My coach is working on a new plan and I should receive it today, but I am afraid this means that I will not be able to do El Schorcho in July. Sigh...we shall see.

Today will be a swim day.

No comments: