Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Running on the Beach

Six AM, there are a few of us who brave the humidity and hit the beach for an early morning run. Across the ocean the clouds are heavy and dark, lightening flashes like a strobe. Not up high but on the surface of the water, streaks of bright light backed by fullness of light in the dark clouds.

Humid yes and yet the soft ocean breeze blows against me caressing my hair my face my body and thus keeping me cool.

The sand is soft yet hard enough for a run, I pass people here and there "good morning" we mutter. Everyone is happy to be out on such a beautiful morning with the storm coming in, knowing that we will have rain later.

Six miles later, heavy with sweat, my run is complete. I lay down on my towel by the pool and stretch looking up at the still blue sky while now hearing the thunder in the distance.

Two days later 6:30 AM another run on the beach. This time there is no storm, instead soft fluffy clouds dab the horizon over the water. Dark at first and then the sky begins to light up, slowly at first with pink light peaking through the fluffy clouds. And then the sun decides to show his face, the rays boldly reaching out to those on earth, through the clouds painting the ocean pink and orange in it's reflection.

The run came to a halt when the sun began to come above the horizon, how can one not stop when the landscape is made so beautifully by the hand of God?

Time to go on, work is waiting.

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to run in the quiet morning on the beach, to have the time to think about the blessings God has bestowed upon me, and see his work surrounding me, taking it all in, letting it rain down on me.

No comments: