Wednesday, July 23, 2008

San Antionio Plan

Well, well. After two days of rest following El Schorcho, it is time to begin training for the Rock N Roll marathon in November.

I struggled after "The Schorch", I was sure I never wanted to run again. If I was indeed going to run the Rock N Roll I needed to do a mile test to see where my level is at this point in time. I don't like the mile test, I don't like the heat, the two combined make me literally ill so what did I do? I complained, I whined, I grumbled, I griped. And then I called the one person I knew would side with me, my brother.

Only he didn't side with me, not really. He simply said "what's the big deal"? It's a mile, what like 7 mintutes and a few seconds? Try it, if you do well great then you can decide what you want to do, if you don't then so what, you run the marathon with no time goal. He seemed to be confused as to why I was so busy lamenting.

I thought about it last night over and over. He was right. After all I do 4 or more 800's at a 3:45 pace with a 200 fast walk inbetween, how much harder would it be to just do a mile instead? And so I decided that I would do my test, alone just in case I failed miserably.

And so I did it differently this time, before I did my mile test at the park on the 1 mile loop, today I went to the track.

I did my warm up mile and then started the first 400 at what would be a 4:00 800, then each lap I sped up so the last lap was very fast, to the point of sickness and whala it was done. 7:17 pace, not bad at all.

Now I am happy, going forward AND looking forward to it instead of wanting to quit.

No comments: