Sunday, August 31, 2008

800's in Colorado Springs

Well...well...do you know what it feels like to have your lungs burn so bad they feel like they are going to burst right out of your chest? I've felt it before while skiing (even while I was living in the mountains as a kid), and when I did the Pike's Peak Ascent (a crazy half marathon up Pikes), and then again last Thursday when I did 800's in Colorado Springs. The difference on Thursday compared to the Ascent is that I was able to recover quickly in my 200 walks.

There are many things to consider. The "track" was at a Middle School, none of the high schools allow adults on their track but the middle school will. It was dirt, and I don't mean cleachy I mean DIRT...loose dark dirt. Footing was iffy.

The track was about 25 yards short of a 400.

So I did my best running hard around even though I knew it was a little short and then I compared the actual pace rather than the time to what my pace is here for 800's I discovered that I actually ran those 800's at a FASTER pace than I run my 800's here. NO WONDER I thought I was going to die!

When I do them next time I will know to slow it down a bit and maybe it won't hurt so bad!

Regardless I was able to do them and do them well, it felt good and how I love running in the dry cool air. WOW.

I leave again tomorrow for anothe week there, several nights the low is 48 to 49 degress. I just love it and can't wait for my runs there.

No comments: