Thursday, April 16, 2009

Not Running Blues

Yeah I've got them, the "not running blues". Perhaps I'll write a song.

As mentioned in earlier blogs my knee and the hills here are not getting along. After exchanging email with my wonderful doctor I realize that every time I dramatically change my running my knee flairs up. This is normal and to be expected.

I was doing so well, not hurting and running faster than I have in a long time. And then we moved here and I kept up the same schedule but now everywhere I run there are hills. Needless to say this is increasing intensity by leaps and bounds.

Now I am awaiting a new plan from my coach, one that will help me acclimate to this new environment. In the meantime I've not run since Monday.

I took the weekend off because of Friday's run my knee really hurt. The weekend we worked in the yard (that didn't help much) and so on Saturday and Sunday I rested.

By Monday I just HAD to get out and run and because I missed my 10 miler on Sunday I made the decision to get it in on Monday morning. DUMB decision.

So I go out, run for awhile on the highway and then I turn onto a road by a very nice cemetery (isn't that interesting?). Anyway, great place to run back in there...very pretty homes and it was nice and quiet, not a lot of traffic. However I get to about 6 miles and I realize that I really should not have gone out so far. My knee is at this point hurting and I still have 4 more miles left in order to get home. And then my stomach gets knotted up. Sigh...those of you who run will understand. This was NOT a good run.

I did make it home, but my knee has been hurting since. I've been icing and taking ibuprofen, walked last night, swimming and yoga today. But NO RUNNING. My plan is to take off of running this entire week, get the plan from my coach, and start anew on Monday. I am back to doing my strengthening exercises for the knee, and stretching more, back to the routine that got me healthy again. I do not anticipate it being too long before I am back on the road.

In the meantime...I shall sing the "not running blues"...woooooooo......

No comments: