Monday, May 4, 2009

New Beginnings

Today I began building my running back. It seems like such a long road but my coach is determined that I not have to go through this again so we are taking it easy and building up. Sigh. The goal is to get through May WITHOUT pain.

I thought when I got my new plan I would be running at least 3 miles at an easy pace. My heart sank when I saw my new training plan. It just doesn't feel like enough! But in reality I know she is right and I am doing so much cross training it's not as if I am going to lose fitness. And I do not want to come back to this point so I must go slow.

I also wanted to work in walking with Ivy, yoga, swimming, and weights. And so this morning I walked one mile, then jogged (not ran) a mile, then walked briskly with Ivy for another 4. That's a total of 6 miles and although I wish I could have been running, it was evident that I need the slow build up. My knee did swell and it felt "funny" but it did not hurt, good sign. And we are getting pretty fast at walking which is kicking my butt!

Tomorrow I will lift and swim so that's 30 minutes of lifting and 50 or so of swimming, then Wednesday will be a repeat of today.

It's not easy going slow but I know it's necessary so I will follow the coaches plan and hopefully by the time El Scorcho gets here I'll be good for a 15 mile midnight run!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Runners always have problems with taking it "easy," because we are used to running a lot of miles as routine. You will be fine, and the lack of tons of miles will probably be good for your psyche.