Friday, May 29, 2009

New Cap and Goggles

Having been mostly a runner for so long I know how important it is to have the right equipment. Good shoes, good socks, wicking material in shirts and shorts, a good sports bra, and of course the Garmin, the hydro pack, all of the other really fun accessories.

There are days when I don't want to run, when it seems like a burden, but if I have something new, well, I am up and out the door! Having something new can prompt me to take action.

Last week I ordered a new swim cap because I have this issue with my hair breaking. Some of it is the chlorine Then my friend Ivy, who was a collegiate swimmer, told me that my cheap swim cap was tearing my hair. She said "it's nothing but a big rubber band, you need to get a better cap, wet your hair before you get in the water, and condition it under the cap". And thus the order last week. I also noticed that my goggles really bugged me, they were pushing in on my eyeballs so that I thought sometimes my eyeballs would pop out of my head! I bought new goggles, some more for serious swimmers rather than "playing in the water".

Yesterday was the first day I used my new purchases. I got up, really not sure I wanted to swim, but then I remembered I had "new stuff"! How exciting. And so I went so I could use my new cap and goggles. Just like running the "new stuff" prompted me to go and once there it was a great swim.

Having good equipment is important for any sport, this I've now discovered. The difference in that cap and those goggles compared to my cheapies is really amazing. I was able to swim more relaxed with goggles that didn't hurt, and the cap was easy to get on and off and kept the chlorine off of my hair much better than the old one.

No comments: