Thursday, May 21, 2009

One more Week and a Couple of Days

Here I am working on getting stronger, with more week left. My swim was tough this week, not sure why, just one of those days.

Yesterday I ran 2.5 miles then walked 3.5 more. I chose to run a more hilly route and this may have been a mistake. Up until 2 miles I felt great. When I turned to go uphill to go back the way I had come I got that familiar pain in the back of my knee. I stopped to stretch then ran another .5 miles and then walked. The pain went away when I stretched and walked. And I don't walk slowly.

I have not felt that pain in awhile and I am wondering if the hills made a difference, that and the fact that my coach says "jog" and I am going faster than a jog. I think the lesson is I need to be careful and just "jog", but it is so hard when it feels so good to be running.

Now I am nervous. What if, in another week, I am unable to continue to build up mileage in the hilly terrain here? I have to keep my mind from wandering and just focus on my continued improvement. It's a lot easier to say than to do.

I'm not sure I will be able to run the Dublin 10K, I KNOW I won't be racing it. Oh well it's just one race and the one I want to really focus on is El Scorcho, the 25K at midnight in July.

No comments: