Friday, May 23, 2008

Humidity - Friend or Foe?

800 repeats today. Not so windy although not so windy is 17 mph. I think it's so funny how on weather.com if the wind is blowing 20 mph or stronger they say it's going to be windy and they have the word windy in the forecast in italics; windy. If it's predicted to be under 20 mph they don't have windy on that day. Listen folks 17 mph is STILL windy.

However, it is better than the 23 to 33 yesterday. For that I am thankful. However, in it's place was 84% humidity. What's up with that? We have very few lakes, no real rivers, we are nowhere near an ocean. Why is it so HUMID? Sorry for shouting. Humidity is tough on me, trying to run a good pace is very hard when I feel like I am breathing under water.

So how did the 800 repeats go then? Did I quit, did I toss my banana, did I drop dead from overheating? No, I still ran them on pace. YEA! It was very difficult and thank goodness I didn't have to do more. I've not had a really tough workout like that in a while. I really had to do the self talk business to get finished. But finish I did and now I am happy to have them out of the way until next week when perhaps the wind and humidity will be less and my body will be happier :).

It occurs to me that I don't like running in the wind nor the humidity nor the heat. I really should move somewhere still and dry and cool. Looks like that isn't going to happen. Every day when I check the weather I also check in Granbury/Stephenville, just to see if it's a lot more humid, hot, or windy there than Abilene. So far each day is about the same. Good to know it's not going to get worse!

Tomorrow is the club run, easy 6 with some walk breaks in preparation for next week. I'm looking forward to visiting with club members I've been missing!

Humidity and all, club runs are awesome!

No comments: