Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fun Morning Run

If you run you know that there are times when you get a little stale, you feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again. Sometimes it's fun to shake it up a bit. Today was one of those days.

This morning Terry and I went to the park. I needed to do some speedwork but I have no real plan right now so we decided to do "poles". This is really what the experts call Fartleks, but because we have light poles at the park we call it "poles". We ran two miles to get a good warm up and then ran 2 miles using the poles to do some speedwork.

We would run starting at one pole and run as fast as possible for two poles, then jog two, then run two, etc...for 2 miles. Toward the end we were walking instead of jogging inbetween our sets of speed. It was fun and my Garmin allowed me to do laps so we have the pace for each of those sets.

Although it was hard and I definately felt it, the time flew by and doing something different was really fun. Not to mention that having to try to "beat" Terry was fun. He was pretty good though and I was only able to beat him toward the end because I have a bit more endurance.

Well time for work...have a great day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have resurrected the old "fartlek" training that we used to do when I ran in college. It was then, and still is, one of the best ways to train. A little under-used these days, in my opinion.

Hope you are having a good morning.

Jerry

KcandyP said...

Hey Jerry,

Yep that was it, I read about fartlek training all the time, but you don't hear much about it. I personally love it and had fun doing it.

Rest day today so that has been nice. I seem tired today so I guess I needed it. 800's tomorrow at Cooper, I like those too :)

I hope you had a good day.

Susan